Are you thinking about replacing the cushions on your patio furniture?
Would you like to save a little money on this project by doing it yourself?
Do you feel like you know your way around a sewing machine, at least a little bit?
In this article, we’ll teach you everything you need to know about how to make your own patio furniture cushions. You’ll learn about all the different types of materials you need to accomplish this task, and you’ll be able to follow our step by step instructions to make your cushions out of any fabric you like. By the time you finish reading, you’ll be ready to go out and grab all the materials you need to get this job done ASAP.
Making your own patio furniture cushions is an easy job as long as you know how to thread a sewing machine and use it to sew a few straight lines. This job is a simple DIY project that shouldn’t take you more than an hour or two at most to complete, depending on how many cushions you need to make.
It can be a fun and exciting challenge to make your own patio furniture cushions, but one of the best reasons to do so is because you can easily choose your fabric and pick something that matches your own unique sense of style and backyard décor, too. So get ready to learn how to complete this great DIY project you can use in your own home right away!
- 1First, measure your patio furniture’s seat size. If you have an existing cushion already, you can measure that to get the perfect fit for your new cushion. If not, measure the length and width of the seat of a chair, or two or three seats for a loveseat or sofa.
- 2Go the craft store and find the foam section. If your furniture is a traditional size, you may be able to find precut seat cushion foam in the sizes you need. If not, however, you’ll need to buy a larger piece and cut it to fit your needs.
- 3Take your quilt batting and cut it long enough to completely wrap around the cushion with about an inch extra. If you’re cutting more than one cushion cover, use this piece as a guideline for how much to cut for the others.
- 4Turn the foam over and spray one side with spray adhesive.
- 5Stick the foam down onto the batting on one of the ends, about an inch away from the edge.
- 6Spray the other side with adhesive and pull the batting tightly over it, sticking it down as well.
- 7Finally, spray the edge of the foam and finish folding the batting over.
- 8Make sure it’s glued down well and then cut off the excess batting fabric.
- 9Cut your fabric into a strip that’s long enough to cover the cushion, the same way you did with the batting. Leave an extra inch of width.
- 10Cut panels for the other three sides of the cushion, leaving about an inch extra on each of these as well.
- 11Hold the fabric with right sides together and pin the three panels for the other sides around the edges.
- 12Sew up all but one side.
- 13Hem the fabric on the open side with a ¾-inch hem using your sewing machine.
- 14On the last side, pin the Velcro so that one piece of it is on the edge of the bottom piece of the seat cushion fabric and the other piece is on the edge of the open flap.
- 15Sew the Velcro to the fabric so that it’s easy to open and close when you want to remove it.
- 16Turn the fabric right side out and slide the cushion foam and batting inside.
- 17Close it with the Velcro and you’re all set!
Do you think you’re ready to get started making your own seat cushions for your patio furniture now? There are a few other ways you can go about this process, but the steps listed above can provide you with one of the easiest opportunities to get this project accomplished. Be sure you follow the steps carefully, and if you’re unclear on any of them, don’t hesitate to look up how to accomplish them. There are tons of great YouTube videos out there that can help you do just that.
Here are a few tips to help your crafting project go as smoothly as possible:
Keep these tips in mind and you’re sure to have a great set of homemade cushions in no time!